- 14. 10. 2023 - 05. 11. 2023
- All Day
Table of Contents
The Keschtnigl weeks in Feldthurns
An autumn celebration of the chestnut
Feldthurns, a picturesque village in South Tyrol, becomes the scene of a very special event from mid-October to early November – the Keschtniglwochen. This festive tradition, established in 1997, is dedicated to the chestnut, a tree that has shaped the cultural landscape of Feldthurns like no other plant. With around 3,300 chestnut trees lining the village, these trees have become not only a characteristic feature but also an important part of various economic activities. The Keschtniglwochen (Keschtnigl Weeks) in Feldthurns are an annual event that delights both locals and visitors alike.
Date: The Keschtnigl weeks take place every year from mid-October to early November. The exact date may vary, so it is advisable to check the current dates in advance.
Venue: Feldthurns, a picturesque village in the region of South Tyrol, Italy.
The detailed program of the 26th Keschtiglwochen in Feldthurns:
The Keschtniglwochen in Feldthurns are a multifaceted event that combines enjoyment, culture, entertainment, hiking and socializing. The focus is on the autumnal cultivated fruit of the region – the chestnut. Here is the exact program:
Opening of the 26th Keschtniglwochen: Törggelemarkt
- Date: Saturday, October 14 2023
- Time: From 10:00
- Place: Velthurns Castle Garden
- Description: The Törggelemarkt marks the official start of the Keschtigl weeks. Here farmers’ wives, farmers and the farmers’ youth present homemade specialties. The ceremonial opening of the event will take place at 10:30 am.
Hiking & Pleasure: Chestnut tree on the Keschtnweg trail
- Dates: Sunday, October 15, 22 & 29, 2023
- Time: From 11:00
- Place: Feldthurner Keschtnweg
- Description: On these days chestnut roasters offer chestnuts, wine cellar treasures and farm products as well as small dishes along the Feldthurner Keschtnweg. Refreshments are available at the Landgasthof Wöhrmaurer, the Laurentiuskirche Radoarhof, the Moar in Guln and the Gasthaus St. Valentin.
- Dates: Monday, October 16, 23 & 30, 2023
- Time: At 13:00
- Place: Meeting point at the Moar in Guln
- Description: Here visitors have the opportunity to collect chestnuts themselves and then buy them at half price from Martina & Erwin.
Guided Törggele hike with stop for refreshments
- Dates: Wednesday, October 18 & 25 and November 1, 2023
- Time: Meeting point at 10:00 a.m. at the information office Feldthurns, return around 4:00 p.m.
- Walking time: 2-2,5 hours
- Description: This free hike for guests of member establishments leads along a picturesque path and offers the opportunity to stop along the way, with consumption at your own expense.
- Dates: Thursday, October 19 & 26, 2023
- Time: At 15:00
- Place: Thalerhof, Feldthurns
- Description: Herbert Kerschbaumer explains how to properly collect, score and roast chestnuts. The event closes with a tasting of roasted chestnuts. The duration is about 2 hours and the price per person is 10,00 €. Registrations are possible until 17:00 the day before at the info office.
Wine, hiking, enjoyment of castiennes
- Dates: Friday, October 20 & 27 and November 3, 2023
- Time: At 09:30
- Place: Meeting point at the info office Feldthurns
- Walking time: 2,5 – 3 hours
- Description: This circular walk leads to traditional Törggele farms in Feldthurns, where visitors can taste traditional dishes. The hike ends with the enjoyment of roast chestnuts. This hike is also free for guests of member establishments, with consumption at their own expense.
For our little ones: Kinderkeschtn hike
- Date: Thursday, November 2 2023
- Time: At 14:00
- Place: Meeting point at Velthurns Castle
- Price per person: 5,00 €
- Description: This special hike is aimed at children and offers an opportunity to explore the Keschtn Forest, play games, tell stories and roast chestnuts over an open fire.
The Keschtniglwochen in Feldthurns are more than just an event; they are an expression of the deep attachment of the locals to the chestnut and its importance for the region. It is a festival that celebrates the rich history and culinary treasures of the chestnut. Visitors have the opportunity to experience the culture and traditions of Feldthurns up close and at the same time enjoy the autumnal beauty of the region.
The Keschtnigl weeks are also a proof of the importance of the chestnut in the peasant cuisine and the wine cellars of the region at the Törggele time. Törggelezeit is an old tradition in South Tyrol where the new wine is tasted and the harvest is celebrated. The chestnut plays a central role in this, as it is used in many traditional dishes and drinks.
In recent years, the Keschtniglwochen have become a permanent fixture in the calendar of events in Feldthurns. The variety of activities and events offers something for everyone, from culinary delights to cultural experiences and outdoor activities. It is an opportunity to discover the beauty and charm of Feldthurns and at the same time to experience the chestnut in all its facets.
The Keschtnigl weeks are not only a feast for the senses, but also an opportunity to get to know the local community of Feldthurns. Local people are proud of their chestnut trees and are happy to share their knowledge and passion for this special plant with visitors.
The 26th Keschtniglwochen in Feldthurns thus promise not only culinary highlights, but also cultural insights, entertaining activities and the beauty of the autumnal landscape of South Tyrol. Whether you want to collect chestnuts, taste traditional dishes or participate in a guided hike, this event offers something special for everyone.